Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Chapter 8

Denise and Claire had finished dinner on the veranda. Dubby had brought fresh candles and the two women were sipping dark coffee from delicate demitasse cups.

“Dinner was wonderful,”Claire said. I think I am ready to agree with you entirely about the French having more talent with food.”

“Americans do some things very well, business and trade for instance, but food and stylish clothes really belong to the French.”

“You speak about the French and Americans as being so different, but surely, even though a great many people in New Orleans were French originally–as well as from former French colonies in the Carribean–surely you consider yourselves Americans now. Louisiana has belonged to the United States for well over one hundred years.”

“Well, of course you are right, and I don’t mean to sound as though I’m not a good American, but it’s just that in New Orleans we have a great many traditions we rather enjoy and want to preserve.”

Oh, and I glad you do. I am looking forward to getting to know the city. I think I’ll enjoy living here a great deal. I like the – what shall I say? – the freedom from so many prudish constraints. You seem so free sexually.”

“Well, a few of us are – but not everyone – and the old French families are very snobbish and strict.”

“I don’t think they could be more prudish and hateful than the Juttison sisters appear to be. I’m looking forward to meeting more of like you and your family.”

“Getting to know people like me will not be a problem, but it will be very difficult for you to get to know many in my family – that is to say, in Andre’s family – for although we are half-brother and sister, I don’t associate with the part of his other family that includes his mother.”

“You know your half-brother Pierre.”

“He’s not in the part of Andre’s family I’m referring to. And I think I ought to warn you that you must be careful if you develop a great affection for Andre, and most people do – men and women. You are quite taken with him aren’t you?”

“Yes, I do have a strong attraction to him. I like him a great deal.”

“You need to know that a relationship with him will have its limits.”

“You make it sound like such a mystery.”

“Not when you understand our ways in New Orleans better, you see. . .”

At this point, Dubby interrupted to tell them that Andre had arrived and wanted to know if she would receive him.

“Certainly, Dubby. Show him up.”


When Andre walked into the candle light on the veranda, Claire felt a familiar stirring in her. He was dressed in a dark well-cut suit and he was as handsome as she eemembered him, perhaps more so dressed as he was as a gentleman now instead of the rough clothes he had worn in Baton Rouge and on the barge trip to New Orleans.

He smiled at her as he came in, but stopped for a moment to kiss his sister on the cheek before turning to Claire. He walked to her and bending over kissed her too, but full on the lips. His kiss lingered for a moment well beyond the length of time a kiss of greeting would last.

Claire enjoyed his kiss, even though she felt a bit awkward with the intimacy the man took in front of his sister.

“How have you two been getting on?” he asked.

“Oh very well,” Claire said. We’ve had quite a conversation – mostly about you – and a lovely dinner.”

“I suppose she’s told you all sorts of disagreeable things about me.”

Denise broke in before Claire could respond.

“Not nearly so disagreeable as your telling her I was your aunt.”

“Oh, that!” Andre laughed. “I can explain about that.”

“I don’t want to hear it. No explanation will save you. I have decided to punish you severely.”

“Oh, please have pity on me, dear sister. But if you do punish me, please don’t do anything that will turn this beautiful young American lady against me.”

“Oh, I don’t think there’s any danger of that,” Denise said. “I think you’ve already established yourself with her quite well.”

“Has she said anything very beastly about me?” Andre said to Claire.

“Only that I must be careful about falling in love with you, if I understood her.”

“Don’t listen to her. Fall in love with me if you like.”

“It sounds as if I would be joining quite a crowd if I did.”

“You certainly would stand out in a crowd of any sort, but tell me this. Who do I have to warn me against falling in love with you, Claire.”

Claire knew she was blushing but she hoped it was hidden in the candlelight. “I will take that responsibility, I think,” she said.

“Well spoken, Claire,” Denise said. And I suggest you take care that he does not fall in love with you. I think he would become even more of a pest than he is usually.”

“Now why do you suppose my sister hates me so?” Andre said. “What have I ever done to deserve such abuse.”

“Maybe telling me she was your aunt.”

Andre had remained standing near her chair and now he bent and kissed her again.

“I will not be deterred. I will love you in spite of the pain and danger.”

“Just so you know you’ve been warned,” Claire said.

“Won’t you join us for coffee, Andre?” Denise asked. “Or would you prefer a glass of wine. I can have Dubby send up a fresh bottle.”

“Coffee would be wonderful, although if you don’t mind, I’d much prefer a bourbon. Do you think Dubby could manage that.”

“There’s no need to disturb her. The bourbon decanter is there in the console and I’m sure there is still ice there too.”

Andre walked back into the parlor to make his drink and while he was out of her hearing, Denise leaned toward and whispered: “I think he intends to stay the night. Do you mind?”

“Why would I mind–he’s your brother and naturally if he wants to stay. . .”

“I’m rather certain he doesn’t plan to stay where I put him. I think he will probably join you as soon as he can manage it.”

Claire smiled. “I’m quite sure I’d be disappointed if he didn’t. Do you mind if he does? I could lock my door.”

“Oh, my dear, enjoy him all you want under my roof, but for heaven’s sake, don’t lock the door. He would keep the whole house awake rattling the latch and pleading with you like a puppy wanting out of the kitchen at night.”

“Claire,” Andre said coming back on the veranda, “Would you like a bourbon?”

“No thank you, she said. I’ve had a good deal of wine and it’s made me drowsy and I don’t want to drop off to sleep quite yet.”

“Denise, I think I’d like to stay the night if you don’t mind,” Andre said, but he was gazing into Claire’s eyes and not looking at his sister.

“I had Dubby make up your room this morning. It’s all ready.”

“You’re so thoughtful.”

“Not at all.”

“I’m spending the night too,” Claire said, but I have to go back to the school in the morning so I think I ought to go to bed soon.”

“Of course, dear,” Denise said. She had finished her coffee. “Andre, if you’ll excuse us, I think the ladies will leave you to finish your bourbon.”

“Sleep well,” Andre said. He sat down a the table and looked after the women as they walked away.

*****

Claire was sitting in front the mirror at a vanity dresser brushing her hair when she heard a soft knock at the door. She arranged the front of the mauve peignoir Denise had loaned her so that the light fabric lay in loose folds over her breasts enough for modesty, but not concealing them entirely.

She opened the door enough to see Andre waiting outside. He was wearing a satin dressing gown with a belted sash around his waist. He wore bedroom slippers, but his calves showed naked below the hem of his robe.

“Can I come in?” he whispered, but Claire had already opened the door to let him in. As soon as he was inside and the door shut behind him, Claire took his face in her hands and returned the kiss he had given her on the veranda earlier.

“There,” she said. That’s better. I didn’t get to kiss you back before.” She lowered her hands from his face and moved them down his chest to open the front of the robe and let her fingers play lightly on his pectoral muscles.

Then it was his turn to take her face in his hands and put his lips on hers in a long sensual kiss as she continued to explore his body under the robe, feeling the hard mounds of his buttocks.

“My dear,” he sighed as he finished the kiss. “You are such a treasure.”

“You are too, Andre,” she said. I have such a desire for your body. I want to touch you all over.”

“Do whatever you want, Claire,” he said. “I am yours to use as you want.”

“Then lie down on the bed and let me touch you. I’ve never been able to explore a man before. I want to know every inch of you.”

He dropped the robe on the floor and opened his arms to her. “Come and explore me, my love.”

She made him lie down on the bed on his back and began slowly to touch and kiss him, beginning with his dark curly hair and working her way downward. He put his hands behind his head and shut his eyes as she kissed him lightly on the lips. He might have been sleeping, except that his great verge reared its stiff length throbbing above his stomach from the patch of hair between his legs.

After a few minutes neither of them could resist the passion generated by her attentions to him. He drew her to him, and getting on top of her and between her legs, he entered her and with long and gentle lovemaking gave her what she had not had from him in Baton Rouge.

Presently she lay in the crook of his arm in a contented but wakeful peace.

“Are you sleeping?” Andre asked.

“No. I’m wide awake.”

“Good, because I am also awake and I have things I want to talk about.”

“What is it, Andre?”

“I shouldn’t trouble you with my worries, but I find myself drawn to you very strongly and that makes me want to unburden myself to you. I do hope you won’t think I’m a weak man – needing a woman to talk to – but I’ll be honest enough to tell you, there are things that worry me.”

“Certainly you can tell me anything you want, Andre. I have a strong feeling toward you to – not that I want more that we have right now with each other. I really don’t want to be too attached right now – and this sounds awful saying it – but I’m not ready to settle down with a man yet. I’ve just now gotten my freedom and I want to make my own way for awhile.”

“That’s how I feel too, Claire, and I’m so grateful to have found someone who feels the same way. Settling down – with a wife – is what I want someday, but there’s too much uncertainty now to consider such a thing.”

“What is it that you’re worried about.”

“Are you aware of the news and politics – of what’s going on in the world, especially in Europe?”

“You mean the war?”

“Yes.”

“I haven’t read the newspapers since I left Shreveport, but I thought President Wilson promised to keep us out of their war in Europe.”

“I’m afraid we won’t be able to stay out of it. Did you know that the German’s had sunk the Lusitania?”

“You don’t mean the ocean liner do you? The Germans sunk it? That’s terrible.”

“It was bound to happen. We’ve been shipping war materials to the British and French and the German’s have been warning us against violating our neutrality.”

“What do you think will happen?”

“I think we’ll end up sending troops to France.”

“Americans troops? Do you think anyone will go?”

“I think volunteers will line to go.”

“But you won’t go will you?”

“I probably will have to.”

“You mean you’ll volunteer.”

“Yes.”

“But why, Andre. Please don’t think more that you ought to think by my saying so, but I just can’t bear to think of anything happening to you.”

“You’re sweet to say so, but I’ll have to. Did you know that I’m in politics?”

“Denise said you were in the legislature. Why does that mean you have to go to the war?”

If I want to advance in politics after the war, I’ll have to go.”

Claire was quiet for a moment considering what he had said. She did not know much about politics or the legislature or going to war, but she understood intuitively how they were related – at least for a man. For a moment she felt anger, first because men and their affairs were inconvenient for women, but her first anger was replaced by another that did not like the way women were left out of such affairs.

“I don’t know much about it,” she said. “But I want to learn as much as I can. You must tell me everything.”

“It may not be fair to trouble you with it all.”

“You tell me whatever is on your mind. I’ll let you know if it troubles me more than I can manage.”

“You have a bit of an edge on your voice.”

I don’t mean to, but I think women need to be treated with more equality. If we’re to have the vote, then we need to get used to being troubled by the affairs of the world.”

“Yes, I suppose so.”

“Then tell me what worries you.”

“First, I need to tell you more about me than you already know.”

She rose up from the bed on an elbow and kissed him.

“Nothing would please me more,” she said.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You writing style is good, it flows nice and easy.
With a good editor, I feel this would be a seller
in erotica. I too am a writer and saw the opportunity for the nanowrimo in the newspaper. Good luck and don't hold anything back.
Warmest regards,
A fellow writer

12:54 AM  
Blogger Glynn Harper said...

Thank you for your kind comment. If you know of a good editor/publisher/agent who deals in 'erotic' stories, please send him/her along. Hold something back? Whatever do you mean? :-)

Henrietta

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home